Wednesday, February 13, 2013

2013 Chinese New Year

Gong Xi Fa Cai...or Gung He Fat Coy for you cantonese folks. In case you've been living under the rock, this past weekend was Chinese New Year. As has been the norm for me the past few weekends, I trekked up to Long Island and spent it with my girlfriend's family...(and her).

So, New York was hit with a pretty horrible blizzard, and so, it was time for me to embark on an ancient tradition shared by many a New Yorkers: It was time for me to shovel snow....for the very first time in my life. Suffice to say, I had no idea what I was in for...however, I discovered I'm a natural snow shoveler and that shoveling snow is a great way to work up one's appetite! I was starving after an hour and a half shoveling snow! 

 * This is Angela's battle garb...she had three layers of clothing just for her head. She looks like a mushroom.

Because of the blizzard that affected New York, our original idea of hot pot went out the window. The plan was for Angela's aunt to celebrate with us and bring all the ingredients necessary for hot pot. Unfortunately, the blizzard made driving conditions a little less than ideal, so luckily, as resourceful Asians do, we went with plan B: GO OUT TO EAT DINNER.

We went to some restaurant I forgot the name to. What I do remember is that it's next to a BJ's warehouse...what an odd name for a store. Anyways, the restaurant is known affectionately by the Lau Family as #3...as in the number 3 ranked Chinese restaurant in their minds.

1) The First course was steamed shrimp.
 * Look at Mrs. Lau's face; I can't tell whether she's happy by the site or apalled!

2) Next was soup...with a bunch of deliciousness used to develop the flavor profile of the dish. It had chicken, chicken feet, veggies...and some other food(s) I can't recall...because I'm old. 


3) PEKING DUCK! That made me very happy when I saw the dish. An added perk was that there was a plethora of scallions at my disposal.
 * I think Mrs. Lau looks happy in this picture

4) Crab with Scallions and Garlic. I don't know how else to describe the dish...all I know is that it was yummy and delicious...and there were lotsa garlic cloves for me to munch on! Yummy for my belly.
 5) Fried Rice. I don't think I need to explain this dish any further. Pretty self explanatory.


So as you can tell, I ate pretty well for Chinese New Year. I wish I had enjoyed some hot pot (especially on a cold day), but I can't complain with how plan B turned out. As Confucious always says: "Plan B is Buddha's Greatest Gift to the world."


No comments:

Post a Comment