Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Microwave Cantonese-Style Steamed Black Bean Baby Back Ribs -I call it SZPG for short, sounds like "shi zhi pai gu), or 豉汁排骨

 I love dim sum sooo much. I love the concept of little asian people running around with carts of food ready to be eaten. I've always wanted to learn how to cook my favorite dim sum dish: black bean pork ribs....and once again, kudos to my grandfather, 公公! Thanks to his keen intellect....and due to his travels, he also developed a recipe to create the best tasting pork ribs I've ever had in my short but oh-so-sweet 23 years of living. This is definitely my favorite dish since I was a toddler.
1)

Ingredients from left to right:
    rack of baby back ribs -- cut into cubes (ask your neighborhood supermarket butcher to do that for you)
    Chinese Hot Chili Sauce (any kind)
    Lee Kum Kee Black Bean Garlic Sauce
    Lee Kum Kee Minced Ginger
    Chinese Rice Wine (Shao Shing Wine)
2) Meanwhile, chop up some green onions as show in picture and set aside
 * i'm not trying to be obscene, but those chopped scallions look pretty sexy

3) Put the ribs in a casserole dish. Add
    2 heaping tbsps of black bean garlic sauce
    1 heaping teaspoon of hot chili sauce
    1 tbsp of minced ginger
    Just a big dash of sugar
    A cap-ful of Rice Wine....
    And some sesame oil (if you're a sesame oil lover like me)
 
TOSS everything evenly in the casserole dish, as you would a salad, i.e. use your well-developed dexterous wrist skills.

 *cap-ful of rice wine. WARNING: it takes a tremendous amount of skill and concentration to pour the wine into the cap without over spilling...


 * aftermath of tossing the ribs. looks gross, smells wonderful

4) LISTEN UP. This is important:  Cover the casserole dish and put it in the microwave.  Nuke it on high for 3 minutes!

5) Then, take it out, toss it around some more (like a merry-go-round), add a tbsp of H20, toss some more, and nuke in microwave again for 4 minutes.

6) When microwave beeps, take out, toss again, add another tbsp of H20, then put heaping handful of scallions on top of ribs.

7) Put the casserole dish in the microwave again and nuke it for 3 minutes on high...again
8) When the microwave beeps, remove the casserole dish, toss everything again, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.
9) Serve over steamed rice.

Ugh to die for.  My grandfather 公公is a genius.  He didn't tell me to use the microwave.  But I invented the microwave method for this dish -- too much trouble to steam things the traditional Chinese way.


  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment