Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chicken Soup in Rice Cooker

Howdy! So I figured that I'm going to be in a very cold climate now that I'm making the move to New York, so I thought I'd learn how to make an easy soup to keep myself warm! Hence, it's time to get creative with the rice cooker (yet again) and make my favorite soup in the whole wide world: Chicken Soup!!!

Ingredients:
From left to right: several cloves of garlic, 1 thick piece of ginger smashed, 1 Cornish game hen

1) Half -fill the inner pot of rice cooker with water. Then place it in the cooker. Put 1/2 of the little cup of water between the inner and outer pot. Then turn rice cooker on

2) Meanwhile, wash the Cornish game hen and snip off the fatty part of the butt. Yep, that's right. You heard me.
* that lil bumpy part is the butt! It was plump.


3) Next, stuff garlic cloves and ginger inside chicken cavity. Make sure there are no gizzards inside the chicken... Gross!
4) Then, throw the chicken into the cooker when the water starts to boil. Add more water between inner and outer pots. Sit back and relax for another hour or so.
5) After an hour or so has passed, add in two of these. Cover the lid of  the cooker, add more water between the pots, and let it cook for another 40 minutes or so.

* ssshh...this is my secret ingredient, so please don't tell anybody.

6) When the time is up, take the inner pot out and allow it to cool. Then cover it up and put it in the fridge overnight.


24 hours later.... 

7) So now it's the next day. Take the pot out of the fridge and you'll see all the yucky grease coagulated on the top. This makes it very easy to scoop off that solidified grease, leaving me with a healthy pot of chicken soup
8) Now put the almost clear soup back in the cooker, add half a cup of water between this weird contraption, press the on switch and wait.  When the button pops up, delicious chicken soup is ready to be had! (unfortunately, this is missing all the bells and whistles my madre uses....)

YUMMY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment