Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Innovative Chicken

Another gadget I'll be bringing to NY is an old fashioned electric rice cooker. I found three in our house, and decided I'm bringing the smallest one. And tonight I'm going to try and cook something other than rice in it. What is it? I'll tell you: Chicken!!!!

Ingredients:

sesame oil, scallions, shallots, ginger powder, salt, soy sauce, and shao-xing wine
and of course...chicken drummsticks!!!

1) Marinate drumsticks with ginger powder, salt, white pepper, garlic powder, and dash of sugar (I didn't show last three in the picture of ingredients). Add a dash of sesame oil and massage in the flavors, like in all my other recipes. Leave the chicken marinating for as long as you want -- or as long as it takes me to finish working out.


 2) Ok. Now I'm back from the gym, and the chicken has been marinating for 2 hours. Smash the shallots, so that it's easy to peel off their skin. Anything easy is preferrable.
3) Then chop them into ultra thin slices. Make sure you don't chop off your fingers!
* look at how expertly i chopped the onions.

4) Next, line bottom of rice cooker container with chopped green onion sections and the sliced shallots.

5) Add drumsticks into container. Then, pour in about 1/3 cut of light soy sauce...or regular soy sauce. Whatever you prefer.

6) Next, pour in about 1/6 cup of shao-xing wine (white wine would do too, like in my pasta recipes)
7) Now, put the container in the rice cooker and add about 1/3 cup of water into the outer pot (this is a weird rice cooker, but I think I can manage)

* this is hard step. make sure your hands are steady, so you don't pour the water into the container.



8) Finally put the lid on the cooker, turn the switch on, and wait for the wonderful aromatic smell if my chicken in a rice cooker!

9) So after my shower, I turned these drumsticks around in the rice cooker because I cooked way too much. Normal people would only eat/cook half of what I eat. No worries, I just have to keep flipping the drumsticks around and making sure there's enough water between the inner and outer pots of the rice cooker. It's really easier done than explained.
10) Final product! Chicken from rice cooker, on top of rice. Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment